Thursday, May 15, 2008

Dinner's on (anybody but) me

I like restaurants where the food comes in baskets and there's a pool table. But I also like to be wined and dined in style. So these are my five favorite local restaurants when I'm NOT paying:

Farmhouse, Emmaus: This is my favorite restaurant in the Valley, whether I'm buying or not. It's one of the few places I go with no notion of what I might order. What I do know is it will be an outstanding meal. There's a reason why Chef Michael Adams wins those awards and contests. I also like this place because they are really into good beer and pairing it with food. The tiny basement pub may be the best place around to try a sampler. http://www.thefarmhouse.com/

Bacio, Salisbury Township: I love the bar with its red walls and candles. Even I feel hip here swirling a vodka tonic. OK, that's a stretch. My veggie fiancee is always happy with Italian and usually orders a good salad and whatever meatless pasta they're willing to make. So be it. I usually order whatever seafood pasta special they have or go with the oso buco, my favorite. I must order a bottle of wine when I come here. http://www.bacio-restaurant.com/home.htm

Apollo, Bethlehem: We tend to eat here by default. We'll be in Bethlehem, stop in for happy hour and decide to stay for dinner. Each time it has been excellent, and, compared to some of the others on this list, fairly reasonable. Heck, I'd pay if I had to.
http://www.apollogrill.com/index_content.html

Tre Scalini, Bethlehem: The first time we went here it snowed and some of the staff didn't make it to work. Things were pretty screwed up and we were'nt too happy; however, we could see it was a great place and the circumstances were out of the owner's control. We figured we'd probably try it again. My fiancee called the next day to complain about our experience (she's a tough chick) and the owner apologized and asked us to come back, offering to buy our appetizers. We did and it was excellent. It's also a BYO.

Bolete, Salisbury Township: The food here may be every bit as good as the Farmhouse and the rustic atmosphere of the 200-year-old inn is very comforting. I've had two meals here recently, scallops and lamb shank. Both were as good as could be. I think my fiance had pasta with vegetables both times. (Yawn.) We had a pumpkin soup that was the best I ever tasted. The only drawback for me is the price. Bolete pushes the envelope on its appetizers and entrees and loses touch with reality on its cocktail prices. There's a thin line between getting what you pay for and feeling like you're being taken. For some it might be and entree that costs a few dollars more than a similar meal at the Farmhouse or the Apollo. For me it was the $9 bottle of mediocre pale ale. That's not just over the top, it's insulting. Good thing I'm not picking up the check.
http://www.boleterestaurant.com/

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice recommendations. I'll have to try some of them out on special occasions.

Anonymous said...

I can't resist responding, as Bolete is my new favorite spot and easily the best place in the Valley. Their food is different than any other place mentioned in that it is all made in house, sourced from the best possible people and that comes with a price. As far as their cocktails, I will gladly pay for something other than a cosmo or an espresso martini that is made with fresh squeezed juices every time. I no longer feel the need to drive to NYC or philly to dine right. You are paying for what you get here, not being gouged. I encourage you to see for yourself.

atown-liker said...

As I said, the food at Bolete is excellent. I've eaten there three times, twice recently, so I have seen for myself. I prefer the Farmhouse, where I'm pretty sure the food's not coming out of cans from the Ahart's. We like what we like & that's the way it should be.

Maybe they flew to Rome to get the olive that they plunked into my glass of Greygoose and maybe the bottle opener they used to pop my beer came from Tiffany, I don't know. But those two drinks cost $20 and the only thing being fresh squeezed was my wallet.

Granted, I'm only complaining about a couple of bucks. If those drinks were $17 I might roll my eyes a little, but I wouldn't be annoyed. As they say around these parts, it's the perception.

Anonymous said...

Not quite as classy, but you should give Willy Joes Restaurant a try, in south Allentown on Lehigh Street.