Thursday, May 22, 2008

Breaking out


It's raining right now and since I haven't yet replaced my stolen down-spouts there's this hideous waterfall sound outside my front window. It's freaking out George (a cat) and not doing me any good either. But the sky is breaking and pretty soon I'll be tooling around the Parkway, as usual, plotting revenge scenarios. ...

Before I do that, here are five local places I like to go to eat or drink outside and one place I don't. I welcome any suggestions, good or bad.

Limeport Hotel -- I like this patio best because it's probably the most peaceful and definitely the most bucolic on this list.

Bellissimo -- This has just the right feel. It's not hard to ignore the odd loud radio or motorcycle on Tilghman Street.

Tally Ho -- A little second-floor deck. Best for lunch before it gets crowded.

Allentown Brew Works -- The biergarten is a nice spot with good potential. Needs some serious sprucing up.

Johnny MaƱanas -- The PPL Plaza isn't exactly St. Mark's Square, but thanks to those falcons there aren't many pigeons.

Pistachio's -- Not for me. A few tables in a strip mall parking lot. I don't like it inside either.
Update: Somehow I forgot to mention the beer garden at the Allentown Fair. I see people here every year that I've never seen anywhere else. (I mean that in a nice way.) Also, I have high hopes for Mayfair this weekend.

6 comments:

atown-liker said...

I should have mentioned Mach's Gute in Bethlehem. Tiny, festive courtyard in the back. We like this place a lot.

Anonymous said...

I've noticed the decline in pigeon population on Hamilton, too. Every now and then you find a random part, like a featherless leg or a foot.

I like the Bellissimo patio a lot. My husband grew up out west and he always complains there are so few places to eat outside, but that's one of our faves.

We also have mixed feelings on Pistachio's. Good food, but it's so loud inside and I hate the strip mall (lack of) atmosphere.

I heard somewhere that Brew Works plans to add some plants to make it's biergarten an actual garden of sorts.

We may have to try some of the places on your list this summer. Thanks.

Look Out Lehigh Valley said...

The patio at Balasia is a lovely lunch or brunch spot, also.

Geoff Brace said...

hm, I thought the legs on hamilton street were chicken wings that somebody dropped. The pigeon explanation makes more sense.

Anonymous said...

If you go to Limeport, tell me if the rumour is true about a certain elected official hanging out there regularly closing the place. For me, I like the tex-mex at the Sunset Grill along Ruppsville Rd in Upper Mac.

Anonymous said...

YOU TALKIN' TO ME???