Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Is there a best?


I've been driving back and forth to Philadelphia a lot lately and listening to WIP to stay awake, with mixed results. Thank God for rumble strips.


One host said he had eaten 45 steak sandwiches in 45 days in a promotion to crown the city's best cheesesteak. I haven't eaten 45 steaks in the past 20 years, but before that, when I lived in South Philly, I probably had one or two a week.


Which has me wondering ... the best steak sandwich in the Lehigh Valley? Hmm. That’s like asking where to get the best swordfish in, say, Durango, Colo.

My first experience with a Lehigh Valley steak sandwich was years ago at the old Brass Rail after I moved here to lovely Renaissance². Here’s where you tell me that if I don’t like it here I should go back to Philly and be with my own kind. (Or is that just on Topix?) But I do like it here – I'm just not crazy about the cheesesteaks.

The Brass Rail steak -- and a lot of people around here say it’s the best – seemed tiny and came with pickles on it. PICKLES! It also came slathered with a substance called “sauce.”

In Philadelphia, steaks don’t have sauce. (Unless of course you are talking about the noble pizza steak, which is covered with pizza sauce and mozzarella cheese.) And they sure as heck don’t have pickles on them.

A real steak starts with a fresh Amoroso’s or similar hoagie roll. Fresh beef sliced thin, fried on a grill with onions and topped with cheese, preferably provolone. American is OK too. Cheese Whiz? If you absolutely must, but only at Ninth & Passyunk. Peppers, mushrooms? You’d be pushing it.

John Kerry famously ordered his with SWISS CHEESE at Pat’s. Oh brother. That was a worse credibility hit than the swift boats.

While the ‘wit’ tourist steaks at Pat’s and Geno’s are perfectly fine, they are far from the best in town. Tony Luke’s, Chink’s, Jim’s, Johnny’s Hots, and others will all get votes, but, really, you'd be hard pressed to find a bad one in Philly. I’m partial to Jim’s, mostly because It was at the end of my block.

But the best in the Valley? Like a swordfish in the Four Corners, a good steak is a rare creature in these parts.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, so the steak sandwiches here are not exactly like Philly's famous, but they are nowhere as bad as seafood in Colorado - a culinary DON'T which I have experienced.

My favorite Philly steak is Jim's on South Street (like you said). But around here there are some good ones to be had, and you can get them without pickles. Try Zandy's across the Eighth St. Bridge in South Atown. Or try Seward's (mmmmm) at 17th and Union. They might be my favorite in Allentown.

Anonymous said...

In Philly, I'm a fan of Rick's in the Reading Terminal Market. I just spent the week down there and ate too many lunches there. I'm going through withdraw!

In Allentown, the Brass Rail's is alright. I like Zandy's too but to me, the Yacco Cheese Steak is the most creative cheese steak. The sauce disqualifies it as a Philly Steak, but it is a really good sandwich.

Angie Villa said...

The Brass Rail (I call it the Gass Rail) has been around for a long time and are famous for their cheesesteaks. We go there quite a bit. I find them kinda bland. I find Yocco's really bland. My hubby grew up eating Seward's cheesesteaks so I'll have to take his word that they are the best.

atown-liker said...

Sarina -- I am going to try Sewards, maybe today, then swear off cheesesteaks for a few months. And thanks for the link.

Geoff -- I've only ever had hot dogs at Yocco's & I'm not really crazy about them. They seem shriveled & dry. And that chili sauce is suspect. Rick's got a bum deal in that contest. 30 out of 45 I think. Ever try the Down Home Diner in the Reading Terminal? Great catfish sammiches & barbecue.

Dottie -- Definitely will try Seward's. Though I make fun of their steak, we like the Brass Rail. (I liked the Hamilton Street one better.) I love the hot cherry peppers they serve. My fiancee always gets the veggie steak. It's not on the menu but they'll make it. It's mostly mushrooms and no meat. I never walk out of there feeling ripped off. (Which could be the subject of another post involving a $9 bottle of beer at Bolete.)

Anonymous said...

"Ever try the Down Home Diner in the Reading Terminal? Great catfish sammiches & barbecue."

If it's the same place I'm thinking, I just had an incredible pork bbq last week while staying in Philly. Can't say I remember the name of all the places I ate while I was there. Let's just say I didn't do my weight loss efforts any justice.

atown-liker said...

I took a Seward's steak to work Friday night. Didn't like it, Im afraid. (And they forgot the onions!)

Anonymous said...

I think Seward's is a lot less greasy than most. Try Zandy's across the 8th St. bridge. Theirs are pretty traditional.

Anonymous said...

The best in the Valley can only be had these days at the Allentown Fair. Vince's used to have a little drive-by (you can't really call it a drive-thru) shack on 15th & Allen, but they closed 10 or 12 years ago. Now they only do fairs. My stomach has wept ever since.

atown-liker said...

i'll try vinces this year

Anonymous said...

Vince's just opened in the former Little Nicki's pizzeria at the Wal Mart shopping center in Macungie/Trexlertown. It's so new the signs haven't even been changed yet but we got something in the money mailer in Macungie.

Unknown said...

Hi Guys,

I work for Vince at Vince's Cheesesteaks. We are located at 1091 Mill Creek Road in the Super Wal-Mart Shopping center. We have been making cheeseteaks here in the Lehigh Valley for 51 years!

Come try us out.

-Marco