Friday, April 4, 2008

Wit brie and capers



The other day I mentioned a WIP radio promotion on chesesteaks -- something I had vaguely remembered hearing while taking a nap as I drove up the Turnpike between here & Q-town.

I'm not a big WIP fan usually. If I want to be screamed at I could just stay home. (Just kidding, honey, that never happens.) But I do like to hear as much as possible about the Phillies this time of year and the "talk" keeps me awake in the car, sometimes as far as Vera Cruz. After that the rumble strips take over.

This morning, I looked at the Web site. It's "Glen Macnow's Ultimate Cheesesteak Challenge." He and some interns went to 45 places, had a cheesesteak with onions and provolone and rated them.

His Top Ten: 1) John’s Roast Pork, 14 East Snyder Avenue; 2) Steve’s Prince of Steaks, 7200 Bustleton Avenue; 3) Chink’s, 6030 Torresdale Avenue, Philadelphia; 4) Talk of the Town, 3020 S Broad Street; 5) Grey Lodge Pub, 6235 Frankford Avenue; 6) Slack’s Hoagie Shack, 2499 Aramingo Avenue; 7) Sonny’s Famous Steaks, 228 Market Street; 8) Tony Luke’s, 39 East Oregon Avenue; 9) White House Sub Shop, Mississippi and Arctic Avenue, Atlantic City; 10) Dalessandro’s, 600 Wendover Ave. (Roxborough).

I've only been to four of the Top 10 (1, 3, 4 and 8) and they are all great. Regrettably at John's Roast Pork, I didn't have a steak. Some I've never heard of and some I just don't get -- Slacks (a chain and a WIP sponsor), and going all the way to Atlantic City for a sandwich. But it's not my list.

Here's all 45: http://www.610wip.com/pages/351421.php

Some notables: Jim's, 12; Rick's, 30; Geno's, 35; Pat's, 42. My, um, gut tells me Jim's and Rick's should be higher and Pat's and Geno's are about right.

The photo shows John Kerry daintily nibbling his steak with SWISS CHEESE at Pat's. Beyond the forbidden topping, the steak also appears to be covered with lettuce and tomatoes. A hoagie steak sighting! More a rookie mistake than a true faux pas. Anyone else would have been sent to the back of the line. Kerry at least had a steak. Neither Clinton nor Obama has had one yet on the campaign trail, according to the Daily News. Obama actually turned one down. ... OK that's about as political as this non-political blog gets.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

see, the first mistake was wit provolone. The only way to judge is wit wiz.

Ed Rendell has a routine about how to eat the perfect cheese steak:
-crappy meat: don't even attempt to make it grade A
-wit wiz: it gets into all the nooks and crannies (his words, i swear)
-don't drain the grease from the onions

I shall always take the word of Rendell on this matter. The guy has made a 2nd career out of cheese steak commentary.