Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Too hard to keep?

I'm interested in the old breweries of the

Lehigh Valley, particularly in Allentown, and I collect relics of beer companies such as Neuweiler's, Daeufer-Lieberman and Horlocher in Allentown; Seitz and Kuebler in Easton; Widman and Supreme in Bethlehem; Eagle of Catasauqua; and the Northampton Brewing Co., among others. I have I-don't-know-how-many beer trays, as well as bottles, coasters, labels, clocks, thermometers, signs, bottle openers, foam scrapers, ashtrays, matches ... you name it. It's a pile of old junk, yes, but it's junk with a theme.


Why I decided to collect this stuff, I don't know. But I think it has something to do with the old Neuweiler building on Front Street. Something about that elegant eyesore has always fascinated me. Since I first saw the building I wanted to know more about it. That got me interested in the old local breweries, which led to my interest in Prohibition-era Allentown. Then I saw a Neuweiler beer tray in a junk shop and I had to buy it. Then the animal steins. Then, Deaufer trays and ... well, it just snowballed.


Last I heard the city was wrangling with a New Jersey developer over control of the decrepit building, a la the Colonial or Sal's, but to what end I don't know. There always seems to be some nebulous scheme to redevelop the site floating just out of reach. All that's missing is the money. Frankly, I'm afraid, somewhere down the line, maybe before the brewery reaches 100 in five years, it's got a date with a wrecking ball. I don't think there's a grant big enough, a KOZ tough enough or a developer crazy enough to take it on.

While it's still here, here are some nice shots of the inside of the white mammoth from the Urban Exploration Web site, UER. There are plenty more at : http://www.uer.ca/locations/show.asp?locid=23939





3 comments:

Look Out Lehigh Valley said...

this has always been one of my favorite allentown buildlings. oh the wonderous ways it could be used. i ought to start playing the lotto.

Anonymous said...

I love the old Neuweiler! It makes me sad that it's just sitting there falling apart. I hope the city can wrangle it away from it's slummy owner and do something positive with it, instead of knocking it down. It drives me nuts that irresponsible owners - many from outside LV - seem to have their slimy little clutches on our historical buildings. The Neuweiler, Colonial Theatre and Americus mean nothing to them but they hold so much importance in our city's history and landscape.

As for your beer collection. It sounds pretty cool! A relative of mine has a collection stashed away from the 70s. There are some real gems in there like the '76 Steelers beer cans, Ortlieb's and Miss Frothingslosh!

atown-liker said...

LOLV -- $40 million or so should do the trick.

Sarina -- That building may outlast us all. ... I like Ortleib's stuff too, the trays in particular.