Thursday, June 26, 2008

Federal Grill

It's a shame the Federal Grill is closing. We used to go there a lot, but over the years we became frustrated with the place and stopped.

Back when I smoked cigars, the Federal was the only place where I'd light one indoors. Plus there weren't many places we could walk to in those days.

We probably had dinner at the Federal 10-12 times and the food was always good. I took my parents there a couple of times, my brother's family, and the two of us went many times. Service was almost always slow, but not godawful. Upstairs was better than downstairs. Downstairs seemed chaotic & the servers confused. Upstairs was calmer. Plus, if you didn't like smoke -- it was after all a cigar bar -- the upstairs was smoke free and remarkably clear of any smoke odor.

Our problem was with the main bar. The bartenders seemed indifferent. You could sit there 10 - 15 minutes with an empty glass while the bartender talked aimlessly with a waitress or another customer at the other end. If you got up and walked down to get their attention, then they'd be pissed. More than once I left the bar and went upstairs for a refill. If you're really good at what you do then you can have some attitude. If you're not, you'd better be nice. They weren't good or nice.

Another problem was the restaurant didn't have consistent hours. We'd go there at 10:30 or 11 p.m. on a Friday and it would be closed. One night we called around 10 and a woman said they'd be open till 12. When we got there at 10:30, they were closed. Another night, almost the same thing. The bartender opened the door & said "Are you the people who called? You can have one drink while I clean up" as he locked the door behind us. Jesus, just tell us you're closed when we call. Don't make us walk over there.

So, while we really didn't go there anymore -- and we still did consider it many times for dinner but ended up walking to Robata or the Brew Works instead -- we're sorry to see it go. The food was upper echelon -- especially the steaks -- and the beer was good if you could get one.

I hope the owner, Iris, who always was very friendly and accommodating, finds a place with more customers and better bartenders.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I went there once for lunch and it took over an hour. And there were only 2 other tables filled.

Also, we had to get the bartender's attention to get the check. I remember immediately handing him the credit card so we could get the hell out of there. Some other guy also had to approach the bar to get his check. I don't understand why things moved soooo slow. With some better service, the Grill could've done some killer business. Their food and ambience were great.

atown-liker said...

they needed a visit from gordon ramsay

Angie Villa said...

I hope whoever takes it over does not paint over the murals done by local artist and friend Ro Geseck.
She did murals at Croc Rock when they opened, and they are gone now.
SHe also did the outdoor mural at Phoebe FLoral on Hamilton, and many others in the city.

I did not frequent the Federal Grill, but I thought it was doing well. It was always busy the times I was there. It is sad to see a business that lasted for many years, now closing for whatever reasons. I wonder if the Brew Works has taken business away from the Federal? I am surprised the Bay Leaf, another great, on the upscale side, restaurant has lasted so long and continues to stay on Hamilton. The service is always good there. And the food is great.

atown-liker said...

They'd be crazy to do away with the art at the Federal. If someone would take it over & make it a little less niche-y (less expensive, no stogies, friendly servers), I think it could be a success. I wish i had the money.

Considering I've lived about a block from the Bay Leaf for 15 years, I can't believe I've only been there twice. A couple of other times we tried to waltz in on a Saturday night with no reservation & both times they turned us away, so they must be doing pretty well. (Or they just don't appreciate waltzing.)